Bain & Company is a leading global management consulting firm. In 2004, the firm established its presence in the Indian market by opening the Bain Capability Center (BCC) in New Delhi. The BCC plays a critical role in supporting Bain's case teams globally to help with analytics and research across all industries, for corporate cases, client development, private equity diligence or Bain intellectual property. In 2018, the BCC evolved to the BCN (Bain Capability Network) to reflect our growing global presence. The BCN is comprised of Consulting Services and Shared Services.
The role of this position is to own multiple client accounts and teams, focused on the Retail industry. The Retail teams collaborate with Bain’s Retail industry leadership, clients and front-end case teams on the development and deployment of industry specific analytical solutions, which are aimed at addressing strategic questions for Bain’s retail clients relating to their assortment (categories, brands, SKUs), negotiation terms with suppliers/CP companies, pricing, etc.
A Manager would be expected to have in-depth knowledge on retail clients & their operations (across sub-sectors like grocery, apparel, etc.), commonly used retail datasets, working knowledge of tools (alteryx, tableau, PowerBI, SQL, python etc.) and experience into key business processes like category management, pricing, assortment optimization etc.
He/ She will be responsible for owning and maintaining strong client relationships through high-quality delivery of projects & communication; and providing day to day coaching and mentoring to project leaders, associates and analysts. He/ she would also be responsible for providing significant direction and support on work-planning, problem solving, generating & testing hypothesis, using expertise to build solutions for clients and continuously innovating the existing products through newer tools/ technologies/ processes. He/ She will be a part of the leadership of the broader Consumer Products & Retail CoE and is expected to own and contribute to initiatives including training, recruiting, business development, etc.
• Provide direct, day-to-day management to a group of 6-10 people
• Leads a group of Project Leaders, Associates and Analysts to execute multiple cases simultaneously
• Ensures timely, high quality delivery to clients through effective team management; define deliverables; prioritize and set deadlines; review work, provide feedback and ensure quality control
• Identifies and proactively engages on critical issues on projects and with clients; Proactively resolve problems, remove roadblocks, escalate issues as needed
• Is proficient at identifying and using the relevant analytical tools and ensure zero-defect in all work streams and ensures quality work delivery
• Go-to-expert on Retail sub-sectors and products/tools
• Proficient on the analytical tools (alteryx/ tableau/ PowerBI/ SQL/ python) and solutions (cost optimization, category management, assortment optimization, pricing and promo etc.) which are relevant to the retail industry
• Knowledge of key data sources, industry benchmarks and metrics used in retail industry
• Expertise on 1 or more key sub-sectors within Retail (grocery, apparel, specialty etc.) in terms of solution design, development and deployment of products on analytical projects
• Own and maintain client relationships / business development
• Build, own and maintain key client relationships with internal Bain Retail leadership and external client teams
• Brainstorm and suggest new ways of collaborating with the BCN – on products/clients/IP etc.
• Understand client needs and situations and adapt to case expectations. Show ability to resolve complex issues across work streams.
• Communicate data, knowledge, and clearly explain insights and implications for the client to the entire team. Generate and screen realistic answers based on sound reality checks and recommend actionable solutions.
• Effectively manage client and team meetings and deliver clear and professional presentations to the client, team, team leaders and managers/partners across the Bain system
• Exerts strong positive influence over hiring, developing and retaining top talent
• Develop professional development plans, provide coaching/training, recognize accomplishments of project leaders (PLs) and associates as direct reports
• Provides day-to-day coaching on work-planning, problem solving, hypothesis generation and research toolkit; Coaches effectively, which is visible in the PLs and Associates
• Constructively engages in mutual feedback process with supervisor and direct reportees; provides concrete, regular and actionable feedback
• Deliver performance reviews, recommends ratings
• Graduate from tier-1 college with 8+ years of experience in a global professional services firm environment with exposure to consulting, business research and data analytics
• Preferably an MBA from tier-1 business school
• Strong academic credentials, analytical ability and leadership skills
• Experience in providing internal/external strategic consulting to Retail clients, with focus on consumer/marketing analytics and research to develop strategies for clients including product/ pricing/ promotion/ distribution decisions
• Ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative data to identify patterns, opportunities and gaps, and integrate across disparate industry data resources (e.g., Client internal transactions data, Nielsen/IRI, shopper card data, client financials etc.)
• Significant experience applying analytics to a range of business situations and a proven ability to synthesize complex data to generate simple and clear insights
• A deep understanding of some of the analytical tools and techniques, including Alteryx, Tableau, Power BI, SQL (preferable), Python (preferable)
• Proven track record of managing and maintaining multiple client accounts / teams and business development
• Maturity to lead by example, willingness to get into detail as required while also balancing delegation effectively
• A strong team player and demonstrated ability to motivate team members
• Excellent communication skills, can drive senior client/stakeholder level discussions succinctly to favorable outcomes
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and develop open ended ideas to practical results
• Quick learner, good at multi-tasking