Bain & Company is a leading global management consulting firm. In 2004, the firm established its presence in the Indian market by opening the Bain Capability Center (BCC) in New Delhi. The BCC plays a critical role in supporting Bain's case teams globally to help with analytics and research across all industries, for corporate cases, client development, private equity diligence or Bain intellectual property. In 2018, the BCC evolved to the BCN (Bain Capability Network) to reflect our growing global presence. The BCN is comprised of Consulting Services and Shared Services.
This position is for a Project Leader (PL) to lead a BCN team of Analysts/Associates within the Strategy and Innovation teams under ‘Corporate Finance & Strategy Center of Expertise (CF&S CoE)’.
BCN’s CF&S CoE works with the Bain’s Strategy Practice, and supports IP/CD Bain case teams across the globe. The work spans a breadth of industries and multiple types of analysis including
a) market leading IP/point-of-views creation and commercialization
b) start-up ecosystem scans, VC funding analysis, understanding of disruptive business models and technologies
c) sector and industry scans, digital analytics, consumer surveys, workforce analytics
A Project Lead (PL) is responsible for building strong client relationships through high quality delivery of projects, while providing day to day coaching and mentoring to team members. The Project Lead works with his team to build direction and work-plan, approach to problem solving, hypothesis generation, strong business insights and understanding implications while leveraging the research toolkit. The PL is also participating in office initiatives such as recruiting, training, business strategy.
Domain expertise/prior experience in driving open ended research, creating strategy and/or industry focused point-of-views, identifying key trends/drivers/challenges, target screening, sector and industry scans, start-up scans, survey analytics is preferred. Advanced analytics or digital analytcis is a plus.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Provide direct, day-to-day management to a group of 4-5 people
• Ability to lead a group of Associates, Senior & Junior Analysts to execute on cases across geographies and industries with limited guidance from the Manager
• Demonstrates thought leadership and sound business judgment to drive team’s open-ended research and analysis efforts and generating strong hypothesis
• Ensures timely, high quality delivery to clients through effective team management; creating hypothesis; defining deliverables and envisaged outputs; drawing structure and plan; prioritizing and setting daily timelines; reviewing team’s output, providing feedback and ensuring quality control, generating highest quality insights
• Identifies and proactively engages on critical issues on projects and with clients; Proactively resolve problems, remove roadblocks, escalate issues as needed
• Is proficient at identifying and using the relevant analytical tools and ensure zero-defect in all work streams and ensures quality work delivery
• Wherever needed, leverages advanced tools (Tableau, Alteryx etc.) to improve team efficiency
Own and maintain client relationships
• Understands client needs and situations and adapts to case expectations, showing ability to resolve complex issues across work streams, generate and screen realistic answers based on sound reality checks, and recommend actionable solutions
• Communicate data, knowledge, and clearly explain insights and implications for the client to the entire team. Able to engage with stakeholders on a broad range of strategy and industry topics
• Effectively manages client and team meetings and deliver clear and professional presentations to the team, team leaders and managers/partners across the Bain system.
Exerts strong positive influence over hiring, developing and retaining top talent
• Develop professional development plans, provide coaching/training, recognize accomplishments of direct reports
• Provides day-to-day coaching on work-planning, problem solving, hypothesis generation and research toolkit; Coaches effectively, which is visible in the Associates and Analysts
• Ability to build connect with the team members through a trust-based relationship at all levels is a must. Acts as a role model and brand ambassador of the Bain culture
• Constructively engages in mutual feedback process with supervisor and direct reportees; provides concrete, regular and actionable feedback
• Ability to synthesize complex information and generating meaningful insights based on data from primary and secondary research. Coaches his or her team to learn the skills of synthesis and messaging
• Deliver performance reviews, recommends ratings
• Assist on Office Management roles (e.g. recruiting, marketing, training, etc.)
• Graduate from tier-1 college with 5+ years of experience in a global professional services firm environment with exposure to business research and consulting
• Preferably an MBA from tier-1 business school
• Strong academic credentials, analytical ability and leadership skills
• Excellent communication skills, can drive senior client/stakeholder level discussions
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and develop open ended ideas to practical results
• Maturity to lead by example, willingness to get into detail as required while also balancing delegation effectively
• A strong team player and demonstrated ability to motivate team members
• Quick learner, good at multi-tasking
• Should possess excellent analytical, Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
• Hands-on experience with tools such as Alteryx and Tableau is a plus
• Should possess strong communication and team skills